gdiplus/tests: Skip the tests if unable to load the TIFF image.

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Mon Mar 4 11:21:06 CST 2013

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

> > > Skipping a test because your VM is broken doesn't qualify as a documentation
> > > of Windows behaviour.
> >
> > The VM is not broken so the skip is ok (thanks for not bringing anything
> > new to the table: it means I don't have to update my answer which makes
> > this simpler).
>
> A test is supposed to pass on a not broken Windows XP configuration,
> otherwise there wouldn't much point in creating the test.

Sure, let's camp.
That's good because the VM is not broken so the skip is ok.

> > > I don't think that you have resources and intention to have Windows VMs with
> > > all possible pre/post SP/hotfixes configurations.
> >
> > I certainly intend to make it possible for Wine developers to run their
> > tests on most significant Windows configurations and that includes each
> > service pack and Internet Explorer version. It's not as resource
> > intensive as you seem to think (*). Now that's different from the set of
> > Windows configurations that every Wine patch will be run on. That will
> > be a subset decided by the community.
>
> My concern is not about computer resources, I'm sure you have plenty of
> spare CPU cycles to burn. The concern is about how far are you planning
> to go, and time it takes to manage. Microsoft releases hotfixes 1-2 times
> in a month, are you inteding to have VMs for every possible state of
> SPs+hotfixes?

Don't be silly, theer are hundred of hotfixes. As I already said, I
intend to cover Service Packs, and Internet Explorer versions. I don't
intend to provide arbitrary combinations of these either. What intend to
do is follow a Windows machine's normal upgrade path. For instance for
Windows XP my personal VM covers SP1 (+IE 6+WMP 8+DirectX 8), then adds
SP2 (+.Net 1.0+WMP 9+DirectX 9.0c), then upgrades that to IE 7 (+.Net
1.1+WMP 10), then adds SP3 (+.Net 3.5+WMP 11) progression, then upgrades
to IE 8 (+Silverlight) and finally has a last configuration with the
more recent updates. Note that this last configuration is the only one
that requires maintenance.

> There are already some distinct things in each Windows VM to worry
> about (video, sound, locale, CD, etc.), so it becomes pretty critical
> to make wise decisions about what configurations you consider as
> major, and which of them you really want to manage.

Yes, each VM needs a good reliable foundation to build on. So particular
attention must be given to the initial video, sound and it turns out
network (with QEmu) hardware and driver configuraion. But that's
independent of the number of test configurations you then add to the VM.

I consider the locale, CD and other variations to be independent from
Windows version tests. So for instance all locale tests will likely be
done on Windows 7 SP1 until that configuration is obsolete, which I
expect will not be before a couple of years at least. I also intend to
combine some tests to reduce the number of test configurations. For
instance I don't think it would be an issue if the only configuration
that has an Joliet+Rockridge CD is also the one that has two network
cards and no sound card.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>