[1/3] Make mac driver the default on OS X

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Mar 6 08:24:54 CST 2013

Hi,

Ken Thomases wrote:
>I think that the Mac driver should not be made the default
>until OpenGL and clipboard support are in.
Exactly :-(

Following Josh DuBois explanation about
HKCU/Software/Wine/Drivers "Graphics"="mac,x11"
I decided to give it a try over the week-end and
was very disappointed to see that seemingly *not any* app would run.
It took me some time to understand that they all want graphics.
Please don't waste the user's time when such "basics" don't work.

What you can do is post to wine-devel and the user forum,
asking for people to test your work. That would be polite.

Josh DuBois wrote:
>I propose an environment variable, WINEDRIVERLOADORDER
Too generic. Include "DISPLAY" into the name, if at all,
e.g. WINEDISPLAYDRIVER, or "GRAPHICS" as in the registry.
The winepulse driver might face similar issues. I have not looked
how Maarten thinks that it may coexist nicely with winealsa.

Bug report:
Toying around with built-in notepad, clock, winhlp32, I noticed that
notepad and winhlp32 are not resizable, whereas the system
preferences "control" is.  By comparison, with the x11 driver,
notepad's window is resizable even though it has no triangle
widget at the bottom left.

Also, the virtual desktop seems gone or not yet implemented.  This is a key
requirement for enough apps that do not handle today's huge resolutions.

Another annoyance was that there's no HIDE function or short cut and some
dialogues do not provide the orange button (middle one) to iconify the window.
As a result, those pesky windows clutter your screen.
That alone is enough reason to me a reason not to use that driver. It is not
acceptable that one cannot get rid of a set of windows!
Example: wine control, then navigate to the root CA certificates.

The menu bar sometimes was refreshed badly, causing some texts therein
to be displayed twice, shifted by a few pixels, or with varying fonts.

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle