[AppDB] version: Only display comments section in case version has maintainers

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:53:32 CDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 2013 17:57:16 +0200
> Frédéric Delanoy <frederic.delanoy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This won't prevent it, but I'm not sure hiding/disabling comments won't
> do
> > more harm than good.
>
> My opinion, based on close to 5 years experience as an active AppDB admin
> and maintainer, is it will inconvenience a few people, but overall do far
> more good than harm, for reasons that go beyond simple spam control. The
> number of unmaintained apps with an active community of commenters is
> small; in most unmaintained apps, questions posted just sit there
> unanswered.

Users seeking help would be much better off posting on the forum.

Of course, but we don't want people to ask the same questions over and over
again on the forum.
I thought the whole point of the appdb entry was to centralize information
on running apps with wine (comments being common to all versions of the
software tested)...

> Since Andre's patch (thank you, Andre) merely disables comments for
> unmaintained apps, any user who really thinks it's vital that the comments
> appear in a particular entry can make that happen themselves simply by
> volunteering to be a maintainer. If it's not important enough to someone to
> put forth the trivial effort required to do that, then it's not important
> to them, period.

Maintaining/testing app entries may not be so trivial for everyone, and you
can't expect everyone wanting to know how to run an app to become a
maintainer...
Maybe merely disabling *new* (vs all) comments for unmaintained apps would
also do the job???

Frédéric