IPC between linux processes and wine processes

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Fri May 3 02:24:42 CDT 2013

Hi

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM, Paul Chitescu <paulc at voip.null.ro> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 May 2013 10:37:38 pm Alexandre Bique wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I plan to write a Linux VST bridge to Windows VST. This could improve
>> windows VST support in our native DAW.

Not too long ago the FSThost and myself, were brainstorming about
doing something similar to your idea. it just hasn't been high on the
priority list. ~ FSThost is a winelib application for wrapping windows
VSTs as standalone apps (single VST host).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fsthost/

it's under fairly active development, with a decent feature set;
jack_session support. 32/64bit plugins, midi-filters, loading/saving
states, gtk+ interface or run without X / no gui, wine-rt / L_pa
support, etc...  but obviously, at this point it doesn't have a linux
VST backend or some kind of proxy-VST who's plugin API FSThost could
tap into (if you wanted to sanbox those VSTs from host), or something
along those lines...

it may be worth having a look at FSThost - since it's already an
existing application that provides a lot of the functionality you'll
probably want. ~ it may save work and projects can always use more
contributions / collaboration. that being said, i am sure some code
would need to be reworked, in order to support using VST interface,
instead of jack.

another app that is similar to what you want to do is dssi-vst - which
from what i gather runs a vstserver - and the IPC is OSC (liblo). But
i haven't used it much, really - so i can't say too much about it;
http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

cheerz

jordan