GSoC 2013 - Registry Merging Project

orzhvs orzhvs at gmail.com
Sat May 4 12:29:20 CDT 2013

Hi, everyone.

    Thank you for your viewing and comments on the proposal. Sorry
that the rough plan is kind of mess and now I've rewritten this part a
little more like a Time Schedule. I appreciate it if you have a glance
at it.

>From now to 27th, May.

Work on some basic knowledge such as the usage of WineTestBot, getting
familiar to debugging in wine or so, with help of the community, and
do some favor if possible.

28th, May to 16th, June.

Have interviews with the mentor at any time if convenient. Put forward
my initial frame design and make puzzles clear, then adjust the plan
under the guide of the mentor. So that the testing and development
plan will be settled down after this part.

17th, June to 24, June.

Carry out pre-work tests on variety versions of Windows. Write test
reports which definite some questions and guesses. I wish to report
some bugs during this part once I found one. Some invoking tests vie
different layer of dlls both some additional test code (maybe for
difference between versions of windows) to the existing one in the
advapi32.dll should be written.

25th, June to 24th, July.

Prophase of the official development. I'll implement almost all of the
registry merging feature, especially code in the server part, so that
I can submit my patch and looking forward to feedbacks as early as
possible.

25th, July to 31st, July.

The Mid-term evaluations will be finished and submitted.

1st, Auguest to 31st, August.

Second stage of the development. Implement the rest part of our
scheme. In this part, changes will be real-time reported in the
mailing-list and apply improvement timely to make it closer to a final
product.

1st, September to 27th, September.

Only clean-ups and small fix of code should be left here. I'll write
and verify the final evaluations and final test results, together with
other documents produced in the project. Then with some modification
from the mentor it's submitted to Google.

    The schedule will be carried out up to speed so that I may finish
ahead of the end date in each part, in which case I'd like make
prepare for the next part and contritube my spare time to the
commutiry, rather that only such narrowed in one project.

    Considering that it may be a little fuzzy in boundarys of
different phases, I came up with some Possible Milestones :

1.Pre-development test works are finished.
2.Complete the mostly full test codes.
3.Merging of classes in HKCU and HKLM is implemented in server part.
4.Merging is implemented in all aviable layer.
5.Compatibility of different Windows versions are fullfilled.
6.All the work including documents are done on time.

    That's most of the schedule I can think of now, and I'll be very
happy to improve it before submitting it to the mentor If you have
futher advise, to save time and make the communication smoother.

Best Regards,

Guo Jian