Full software of Wine version 1.4

GOUJON Alexandre ale.goujon at gmail.com
Sat May 11 10:21:49 CDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 01:52 AM, Nick Kucan wrote:
> <snip>
> Each time the system crashes
> (fails to load and screen says "input signal out of range" and does not
> load Ubuntu 11.04).
Yeah, I experienced the same thing with my old computer which had a VIA
chipset.
When you boot up your computer, the X server tries to load the good
driver to provide the best resolution, 3D etc.. but if the card is not
recognized, the server tries something by default (resolution and
frequency) that may, or may not, fit what the screen expects.
I remember when I had to fight with the X server to configure it
properly (ah.. good old time).
Basically, you have to boot linux using the recovery mode and use the
command line (vi, dpkg...).
You should also have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it's verbose but
very instructive.
> I have tried Ubuntu 12.10 but unfortunatly there is a major issue with my
> modem - Every time i tried to connect - less than a second later - it cuts
> it right off.  I have tried get help with the ubuntu website and provider
> - no such luck at this point of time. There is no such issue with version
> 11.04.
Some companies refrain from updating their software because of that.. or
do tons of tests of the new version before migrating.
Sad but true..
For your modem issue, I would say : ethernet cable or friend. Ethernet
is really plug'n play so if you can have Internet this way, no driver
issue any more. And if you have friends with Internet or live CDs, it
can be very helpful.
And note that 13.04 is out..
> I am forced to re-install and restore from backup - the wine program that
> I backed up wont even load so I am forced to download at least 170mb (and
> at least 1 hour to download from your headquaters website which I am tired
> of downloading the last 30 times - that cost me a lot of money to from my
> pre-paid account.
You can order for a few dollars/euros a CD or a DVD with all needed
packages to do a clean install of your favourite linux distribution.
Mine provides a 'live' mode for repairing a broken PC.
System admins always have plenty of CDs to boot up a PC and face any
situation (data loss, wrong configuration...).
> I wish to download that .deb package from another source and burn into a
> dvd for my personal use only instead of downloading every time from your
> website each time and restore everything from its point.
>
> Can provide me a good link that I can directly download that file and I
> need to burn only one copy for my home pc so it can make my life a little
> easy
There are many mirrors around the world.
For ubuntu, see the list at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
(for .deb packages not CD images), should be under
/ubuntu/pool/universe/w/wine but be careful, wine has many dependencies
("apt-cache depends wine"is your friend)
>   - this copy of windows wine will NOT be distributed to anyone else
> except for my own stand alone pc in an emergency so that I can restore it
> back the way it is please.
You know, wine source is under GNU LGPL so what you're saying is a bit odd..
> Can u help me please....
>
> Nick Kucan.
Hope it helped.