[wine-devel] Troubles configuring and building wine-1.5.30 on Debian wheezy

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue May 21 03:10:52 CDT 2013

On 2013-05-20 20:24-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> [...]For example:
>
> wine at raven> wine64
> wine64: error while loading shared libraries: libwine.so.1: cannot

I fixed this 1.5.30 issue by applying the patch at

http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/patch/ce4b6451aabbe83809c7483c748cfa009cc090d6

as suggested by Hugh McMaster

and then redid the WoW64 build recommended by
http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64

For the 32-bit part of that, I tried the --without-freetype option
to get round the problem that the
two libfreetype6-dev:i386 and libfreetype6-dev:amd64 packages cannot
be installed simultaneously for Debian wheezy.  This allowed the configuration to
finish with a long shopping list of missing 32-bit development
packages.  Those appeared not to be fatal
unlike the missing 32-bit freetype development package
which indeed turned out to be fatal.  Here is
that error message:

wine at raven> wineconsole setup.exe
err:wineconsole:WINECON_Fatal Couldn't find a decent font, aborting

> So here are my questions and further comments:
>
> 1. Is there a way to stick with a pure 64-bit Wine system, or is that
> normally pretty useless because downloaded applications such as the
> Cygwin installer which apparently is 32-bit, i.e.,
>
> wine at raven> file setup.exe
> setup.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external
> PDB), for MS Windows, UPX compressed
>
> wont run on it?

I would appreciate an answer to this question, and if the answer is a
standalone wine64 build should work, how do you run the above
setup.exe?

> 2. If the WoW64 configuration is really the best solution, what are
> the consequences of dropping libfreetype from the 32-bit configuration
> (but obviously including it in the 64-bit configuration).  IOW, if I
> just say --without-freetype for the 32-bit configuration (suggested as
> a possibility above by that error message) will the fonts be built and
> installed by the 64-bit configuration that includes libfreetype?

I believe I have answered this one above.  Apparently it is still fatal
even though the fonts were (presumably) built and installed for the 64-bit part
of the WoW64 build since that had access to the installed 64-bit libfreetype
development package.

> 3. I would have liked to continue with pure 32-bit wine since that
> was what I have been used to all these years, but it appears
> wine-1.5.30 32-bit dependencies are really fearsome compared
> to the relative modest 32-bit dependencies for wine-1.5.19 so this
> effectively
> makes it impossible to build a standalone 32-bit wine system
> on Debian Wheezy (because no fonts will be built if
> --without-freetype is used) and might also compromise WoW64 builds
> (see question 2 above).  It obviously doesn't affect pure 64-bit Wine
> builds, but I couldn't get that to work at all at run time (missing
> libwine.so.1 (see above)), but if there are workarounds for that
> issue, then it still might be useless (see question 1 above).

So it appears a pure 32-bit build or WoW64
build of (patched) wine-1.5.30 is completely blocked because of the fatal lack of 32-bit
libfreetype library on Debian wheezy that can coexist with the 64-bit
version of libfreetype.  This was not an issue for my previous 32-bit
build of wine-1.5.19.  There remains a faint hope that a pure
64-bit build and install of wine-1.5.30 will work since there are no
missing dependencies, and the pure 64-bit build and install finishes without
errors.  But I will need some guidance in that case about how to use
such a pure 64-bit wine at run time to execute, say, the 32-bit
setup.exe.

Hugh McMaster's reply was already a help, but I need more comments
please.

For example, is there a patch that I could apply to get rid
of the fairly new constraint for 32-bit builds that there must be a
32-bit libfreetype development package installed?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin