[wine-devel] Troubles configuring and building wine-1.5.30 on Debian wheezy

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue May 21 20:17:06 CDT 2013

On 2013-05-21 21:22+0200 André Hentschel wrote:

> To finally answer this: pure wine64 can't run 32-bit applications, you need wine32 or a wow64 setup for this.

Thanks for that important clarification.  That means I always need
32-bit as standalone or as part of wow64.  So regardless of that
choice I have to figure out the 32-bit library configuration
issues that have been introduced since wine-1.5.19.

To answer another responder (Ričardas Barkauskas), my system is almost
entirely 64-bit with many 64-bit development packages installed so I
can build lots of different 64-bit packages on Linux.  But wine is the
exception since from the above answer to my question, 32-bit wine is
always going to be needed, and that requires installation of 32-bit
libraries (which I only do because of my 32-bit wine needs).

Before, I straightforwardly built wine32 (e.g., for wine-1.5.19) with
minimal issues with linking to a relatively small number of 32-bit
libraries that were required at that time.  However, somewhere between
wine-1.5.19 and wine-1.5.30 (which I have patched as instructed for
the libwine creation issue that came up early in this thread for
1.5.30) much more stringent requirements for 32-bit libraries were
introduced for the 32-bit build, and this is a problem for Debian
wheezy because many Debian wheezy library -dev packages (which create
*.so symlinks to the shared libraries and which typically also provide
static libraries) are not multiarch aware.  The only way to beat this
that I am aware of is convert to a 32-bit system (which I definitely
don't want to do) or create the *.so symlinks to the 32-bit libraries
myself.  I have created a script to do that (in the user's standalone
build tree to avoid contaminating system areas).  After running that
script (attached if anybody else reading this thread in the future
finds it to be useful) I also execute

export LDFLAGS=-L$(pwd)

so those symlinks in the build tree are accessible to the linker.

The 32-bit wine-1.5.30 configure script results are now much better; I
have reduced the number of missing 32-bit libraries from ~30 to 5.
The associated configure messages are

configure: OpenCL 32-bit development files not found, OpenCL won't be
supported.
configure: libdbus 32-bit development files not found, no dynamic
device support.
configure: gstreamer-0.10 base plugins 32-bit development files not
found, gstreamer support disabled

configure: WARNING: libjpeg 32-bit development files not found, JPEG
won't be supported.

configure: WARNING: libpng 32-bit development files not found, PNG
won't be supported.

At least I now have access to the 32-bit version of libfreetype which
allows fonts to be generated.  I did the normal 32-bit build after
that configure step, and it looks like the result passes some minimal
tests such as being able to run winecfg.  However, when I tried
running the Cygwin setup.exe from wineconsole, there were lots of
warning messages about no png.  As a result, I plan to work some more
to get access to the 32-bit version of the png library before
configuring and building the 32-bit version of wine-1.5.30 again.

If that search for a way to get access to the 32-bit png library is a
success, the missing libraries will be reduced to 4. In the past for
32-bit builds I have gotten by without opencl and jpeg (according to
my dated notes) so I am not going to worry about them (unless someone
here advises me they have some importance I am unaware of).

Can somebody advise me about the importance (or not) of the remaining
two missing 32-bit libraries (libdbus and gstreamer)?  For example,
are they worth some extraordinary measures such as downloading the
binary i386 -dev package and extracting the static 32-bit versions
separately from that package?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science