[4/5] ntdll: Make asynchronous NtWriteFile on a disk file always return STATUS_PENDING.

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Tue Oct 1 05:16:02 CDT 2013

Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:

> >> I don't see the point. Do you actually have an app that depends on this?
> >
> > When I started to work on this I had an app that has one of the reasons to
> > require running under Vista+ was the difference in overlapped IO behavior.
> > On the other hand the tests clearly show that up-to-date Windows versions
> > (including Windows XP) always return STATUS_PENDING for asynchronous read
> > and write on disk files. Is there another way to remove all those todo_wine
> > statements from the tests?
>
> The tests also show that returning success is allowed for other file
> types, so I don't see a need to add complexity to treat files
> differently, unless there's a demonstrated need.

Do you propose to leave NtWriteFile/NtReadFile in the state when they
return STATUS_SUCCESS for overlapped writes and reads? But that's clearly
not how Windows implements this accordingto the tests, and that would
require changing all the tests to accept both values so that they pass
under Wine.

--
Dmitry.