Video Mixing Renderer 7

Michael Müller michael at fds-team.de
Tue Oct 15 14:52:20 CDT 2013

Hi,

I am wondering what would be the best way to handle programs which rely
on the Video Mixing Renderer 7 (quartz.dll) as it's supposed to be
available on XP and later, but Wine contains only an implementation of
version 9.

The program I am speaking of is Silverlight which uses the VMR 7
Interface to create a filter graph and then queries for the
IAMCertifiedOutputProtection interface. I am currently using a hack fix
to get around this by returning a VMR9 instance when a VMR7 is requested
and implementing the missing subinterfaces (which are only part of
VMR7). This solution is clearly not perfect and I am searching for a
better way to get around this issue.

The most similar way to Windows would be to completely rewrite the
current implementation of the VMR9 as VMR7 using DirectDraw, which would
take a lot of time and most probably end up in having a lot of duplicate
code. I am wondering whether using d3d9 for VMR7 would also be an
acceptable solution. We could move all the d3d9 related stuff to a
separate file so that VMR7.c and VMR9.c only offer the version specific
interfaces and use the same code internally. This shouldn't be a big
problem since the differences between the VMR7 and VMR9 interfaces are
often only very small. Though it would not completely fit the behavior
of windows.

I am open for other ideas on how to solve the problem, but as
Silverlight does not even use the VMR7 object for playing the video but
only to check for the graphic driver certificate I don't think it would
justify to rewrite everything using Direct Draw if there are no other
programs needing this interface.

Best Regards,
Michael Müller