WineTestBot status update

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Mon Oct 28 02:55:51 CDT 2013

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Jeremy White wrote:

> And I meant to ask, but did not:  does it make sense to throw
> hardware at some of the issues?  We've got additional systems
> we could easily rig as slaves...

The current VM host is far from fully utilized. The CPU is over 90%
idle. The only point that worries me is the I/O but I hope disabling
Windows Defender will have greatly reduced it.

To get good performance we need to:
 * Solve the VM revert issue.

 * Tweak the self-imposed limits on active VMs and reverts. Currently we
   only allow up to 2 active VMs and 1 revert, that's 2 running VMs or 1
   running VM and one revert. Given that the bos has 8 cores and each VM
   normally uses at most 2, I think we can go up to 4 running VMs. We
   can probably also allow up to 2 reverts, though that's likely more
   disk-limited. I think we can also reduce the post-revert sleep phase
   (from 30 seconds down to 10 or less).

 * Defuse 'test-bombs', though these are mostly a corner case really (once
   the __WINESRC__ work is done it will be some time before we get such
   patches again). But there's other reasons to do that work anyway (bug
   33065).

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>