Bad CPU autoscaling is making games unplayable for a lot of users

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 17:33:40 CDT 2013

Hi Scott,

On Linux power management decisions are made by cpufreq governors. Most
distributions I have used recently use the 'ondemand' scheduler, which
makes decisions as you would guess based on cpu load. This scheduler has
various parameters you can tweak in
'/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand'. Its 'up_threshold' parameter is
typically set to 95, which means when the load on a CPU reaches 95% it is
time to increase the clock frequency to a higher level. Often this value is
too high to trigger a high clock frequency. Just for fun adjust it to let's
say 25 and see it change behaviour.

Figuring out the 'right' power settings is a very hard problem, because
there are different use cases of which battery life vs performance is
probably the most important one.

There is not much which can be done at the application level. If you were
to tune cpufreq settings from Wine this would interfere with other apps.

Maybe some settings like up_treshold should be tuned at the distribution
level, but finding the right balance is a problem and every user has
different preferences.

Thanks,
Roderick