Bad CPU autoscaling is making games unplayable for a lot of users

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 02:04:28 CDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 02:14:24PM -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Over the past couple years I've been able to try out Wine games on many
> different environments -- laptops, desktops, even cloud servers.
>
> On many occasions, I've discovered that a game appears to run
> functionally but slowly, however upon further investigation I find that
> forcing the CPU to run at 100% "performance" mode can make the game
> playable.

I've found similar problems running high cpu use programs on
both linux and windows.
It seems that the OS doesn't increase the cpu frequency until all the
cpu are busy - so for a 'mostly single-threaded' application this
doesn't happen and the cpus stays at 1.6GHz instead of increasing
to 3.4GHz.

Running 'while :; do :; done' once for eacg cpu makes the program
run faster!

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk