Wine test analysis August 6

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Aug 19 18:44:42 CDT 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014, André Hentschel wrote:
[...]
> But it truly has a strange locale config, i don't know for what it might be useful:
>
> "A default install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit in VMware plus SP1 and
> IE9, running the 32bit tests with elevated privileges and a mixed
> locale: Formats=Inuktitut (Syllabics, Canada); Location=Israel;
> Language=German (Germany); SystemLocale=Japanese (Japan)."

It's useful for testing.

As mentionned in the VM description, in the Windows Control Panel the
user can choose different settings for Formats, the UI display language
and the system locale. But how can our tests determine which of these is
used by APIs such as SHFormatDateTime() if all our VMs use the same
value for all three? The answer is they can't.

That's why this VM is configured to have a different value for each
setting. I have further tried to pick values that maximize the
differences between each setting. After all picking US, British and
Canadian English would be pretty unlikely to expose bugs.

Now maybe Inuktitut was a bit overboard but AFAIR the resulting
formats were the ones most unlikely to match any of the others.

               If you think the whole world revolves around you,
                 quit staring at the GPS display while driving.