Rename "Version" field to "Earliest Affected Version" in Bugzilla?

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 08:51:33 CST 2014

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:03:52 -0600
Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think there's a need for a compromise that makes it even more
> complicated. If we're not going to change the policy, making the
> version field write-once for most users is fine for enforcing it imo,
> and as long as we have the original reported version I don't think
> it's worth adding a field for the last tested one.

I agree.

As for whether the policy should be changed, I can think of one argument against it that hasn't been mentioned: we have a large body of experienced users who are accustomed to doing it the current way, no way to effectively communicate such an abrupt change in policy to all of them, and getting people to change their habits is far more difficult than changing the permissions on a field. In the short term, at least, such a change would lead to more noise in bugzilla as triagers have to explain to experienced users that we've suddenly decided to handle this in a way that is completely opposite to the way we've been doing it for years.

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>