Assorted spelling fixes

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Sun Feb 16 02:57:20 CST 2014

Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 February 2014 12:19, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at baikal.ru> wrote:
> > Frédéric Delanoy <frederic.delanoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> -    cab_ULONG window_size;     /* window size (1Kb through 2Mb)           */
> >> +    cab_ULONG window_size;     /* window size (1 KB through 2 MB)         */
> >
> > This is not the typos, that's a common way of writing sizes by programmers,
> > personally I prefer the old form (and will keep using it in future) and hate
> > the "fixed" variant.
> >
> I can't say I'm much of a fan of this kind of change either, but if we
> really wanted to be strict about this as a project, I'd prefer either
> "kB" or "KiB" (etc.), depending on what's meant.

In my years of University the students were told to remember that
1Kb == 1024 bytes, 1Mb == 1024Kb and size prefixes should be written
as a capital letter to emphasize its meaning. I'm very reluctant to
change this practice to something else regardless of explanations and
intents. I understand that for not technical people 1K == 1000, but
I'd assume programmers are not of that kind.

--
Dmitry.