How to bisect the 1.6.x series of commits

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jan 3 01:18:05 CST 2014

On 2014-01-02 13:07-0600 Ken Thomases wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> I have bisected Wine regressions several times in the last year
>> following the cookbook in http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting.
>> Those bisections were for the principal branch (or whatever you call
>> it) of development. How do you do similar bisections for the branch of
>> development from 1.6 to 1.6.1?  I need the name of that branch of
>> development and how you specify it to the bisect process.  Sorry for
>> the git newbie question, but following the above cookbook has been
>> essentially my only git experience to date.
>>
>> The reason I am asking about bisecting from 1.6 to 1.6.1 is I have
>> recently found some fairly strong evidence that there is an important
>> regression in behavior between 1.6-rc4 and 1.6.1.
>
> You can simply do "git bisect good wine-1.6-rc4" and "git bisect bad wine-1.6.1" or the equivalent.  Git will traverse the commits between them.  It doesn't need a branch name or anything like that.

Thanks to you and André Hentschel for responding to my git question.

Just out of curiosity what would git do if you tried to do a bisect
between 1.6.1 (for a case where that was "good") and the latest 1.7.x
release (for a case where that was "bad").  There is obviously no
direct forward development path between the two cases.  Would git
error out or would it automatically bisect using a development path
consisting of the reverse development path back to 1.6 combined with
the forward development path from there to the latest 1.7 release?

Although I am interested in the answer to the above question for
future reference, it turns out I am not going to need to do a git
bisect at the present time; I used bash.exe up-arrow to reconstruct
the exact commands I used that generated the dynamic load errors
before and put those commands in a script in preparation for a bisect.
However,that script cannot reproduce the error and gives the same good
test result for 1.6.1 that I got with 1.6-rc4 before!  The good script
result is for a fresh restart of wineconsole and bash.exe however, so
I ascribe the previous dynamic load error results I observed with
1.6.1 to a stale wineconsole/bash.exe environment that had somehow
been clobbered by previous commands I had done in that environment.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin