wininet: Call WSAStartup/WSACleanup to mime the Windows behavior

Erich E. Hoover erich.e.hoover at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 13:19:18 CDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> The point of this system is to isolate the implementer from the
> implementation details of the original, so they can't copy those
> details. They are supposed to only be given an interface to implement,
> which they may do differently (if that's possible while still
> implementing the required interface). It doesn't work if the
> implementer is told the implementation details, so when doing this you
> have to be careful about the information you give.

Yeah, I'm aware - I was actually surprised to find (after some
Googling as a result of this discussion) that the 9th circuit ruled in
favor of explicit copying in a case back in 2000 (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment,_Inc._v._Connectix_Corporation#1._Nature_of_the_copyrighted_work
).  It was my understanding that US law (and case law) didn't have any
precedent for permitting something like that.  Anyway, it's probably
still a good idea to stick to strict clean room techniques.

> I can't explain why the relay call out from wininet to winsock is too
> much information in this case, but it's been a general policy that we
> don't look at the calls native makes. (I also learned that policy the
> hard way, unfortunately.)

Maybe we should update http://wiki.winehq.org/CleanRoomGuidelines and
make it more prominent on http://www.winehq.org/devel/ ?  I don't even
know how to get to it from that page, and it seems like a pretty
important document...

Best,
Erich