XInput over SDL

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:58:37 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Stefan Dösinger
<stefandoesinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using SDL is probably
> fine if there are good arguments that support its use and the
> Wine-internal layering makes sure that xinput_*.dll, dinput
> and winmm see the same joystick configuration. You could think about
> calling SDL from winex11.drv or dinput.

SDL has two different api's, a joystick api and a game controller api.
They roughly correspond to dinput (generic joystick support) and
xinput (support for gamepads with a specific button layout)
respectively.

The advantage of using SDL is that we don't have to worry about how to
map any joystick to the required xinput layout, because SDL does that
for us. That advantage only applies to xinput.