New Wine patches

Alois Schlögl alois.schloegl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 02:12:05 CDT 2014

On 05/30/2014 02:08 PM, Bruno Jesus wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Chakke, Neha (GE Oil & Gas)
> <Neha.Chakke at ge.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello ,
>>
>> I am trying to run a GE software and hardware on Debian (Linux platform) using WineHQ. In order to run the hardware we need to install device drivers for USB (Cypress) .
>>
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/USB
>>
>> I have been trying to look for some solutions online since a week. Could you kindly send me the new wine patches and please guide me with the procedure.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Miss Neha Chakke
>
> Hi, Wine is not an operating system and doesn't implement the "Windows
> kernel" infrastructure needed to support various kind of hardware
> driver classes.
>
> Depending on what kind of device it is you can make it work with the
> Linux kernel and then use it inside wine, Cypress is known to make
> USB->serial devices, if that is the case there is a chance it will
> work in wine. See:
>
> http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/misc-things-to-configure#AEN715

Dear Neha,

The page http://wiki.winehq.org/USB states:
  "Drivers which depend on modules other than ntoskrnl.exe, hal.dll,
usbd.sys will not work."

USB seems to work only for keyboard and mouse, and serial interfaces
connected through an USB2Serial adapter. A good example is MC700A.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30086
1) Connect the Hardware with the serial interface. I've been using a
Serial2USB converter, because the Laptop did not have a serial
interface. The device was identified as /dev/ttyUSB0.
2) Configure the device in wine with this command
  ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
3) Set permissions
   sudo chgrp dialout /dev/ttyUSB0
or alternatively
    sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0

This works because the interface looks like a serial interface to wine.
Perhaps that will work for you too. If it does not work and it requires
some USB driver on window, other than the ones mentioned above, your
application will be just another one not supported by wine:
    http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=usb

As a way forward, it would certainly be useful to know which windows
driver is actually used by your device. You will find this information
in the windows registry (for details see http://wiki.winehq.org/USB).
This information by useful for identifying the most common USB device
drivers on windows.

Have a nice weekend,
   Alois