[RFC 2/11] Linux FF: Linux effect status management

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 5 08:54:53 CST 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:19:39PM +0100, Elias Vanderstuyft wrote:
>     => This has been discussed (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg08513.html),
> and the following is true:
>         My opinion appeared to be correct, but for to be sure, I was
> recommended to apply the change in Wine as well.

Yes, we should also fix this in Wine to support "buggy" old kernels.
It would be worth adding a short comment to the code explaining which
kernel versions are affected by this bug.

> b)  Be more precise in returning errors.

Seems fine. If you can add tests (EINVAL seems easy to test, at
least), that would be even better.

> c)  The following in dinput/effect_linuxinput.c:336 :
>         if (res != DI_OK)
>     should be probably :
>         if (FAILED(res))
>     for example if a device reports S_FALSE because it has already
> updated an identical effect.
>
>     The same for line 549:
>         if (retval != DI_OK)
>     should be then :
>         if (FAILED(retval))

Sure, seems fine. As an additional fix, you could demonstrate with
tests that Download and Start can return S_FALSE under those
circumstances on Windows, and fix the Wine behavior to match.

Andrew