how to build wine with USB support ?

Alois Schlögl alois.schloegl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:37:36 CDT 2014

On 2014-03-17 13:43, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>      Alois> Hi I'm trying to use USB devices for Data acquisition on
>      Alois> wine. The recording software is proprietary, but runs on
>      Alois> wine. (It IgorPro with some binary called FPulse, and MultiClamp
>      Alois> Commander 700B). The problem occurs only when trying to connect
>      Alois> to the recording device through USB.
>
> How is the device accessed? Is it offering a serial device (comX)? Is it
> perhaps using the FTDI device and the ftd2xx driver? Or is it
> using an own kernel mode driver?

In one case, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\<driver name> points
to  system32\Driver\hidusb.sys;

in the other case, no driver name is specified. It most likely uses a
vendor specific interface - and its not an interface for a serial protocol.

> Only when using an own kernel mode driver, [1] is needed.

I'm afraid there is no way around it.

> If it is a serial device, add the device to the wine configuration. If it is
> using the ftd2xx driver, I can send you a patch to add a wine dll that
> translates the windows ftd2xx calls to linux ftd2xx calls.

Yes, I'd be interested in that one, too.

> Perhaps run a "WINEDEBUG=+relay log" to see how the device is accessed.
>
>      Alois> I've already found the page [1] and trying to build wine with the
>      Alois> recommended patch. Unfortunately, the current patches [2] do not
>      Alois> apply cleanly to the most recent version of wine-git. Therefore,
>      Alois> I'm asking what the recommended approach is ?
>
>      Alois> Is there a more recent set up patches ? The once from [2] have
>      Alois> been updated last in Jun 2012 ?  Or would you recommend using the
>      Alois> sources of wine from that date ?
>
> Probably using a equal old wine would be best if you need [1].
>
> Bye

Cheers,
     Alois