Advice fixing #13683 (DirectX mouse overlay?)

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:10:41 CDT 2014

> Am 2014-03-21 03:24, schrieb Christopher Thielen:
>> apitrace is really neat, thanks for pointing it out. I ran it on
>> Windows XP with the Ultima IX (GOG edition) and generated a trace -
>> which shows the missing mouse cursor - then rebooted into Linux and
>> ran the Windows version of apitrace's GUI using the same .trace
>> file and it _did_ also show the mouse cursor, running under Wine.
> It means one thing for sure: The cursor is not a user32 cursor.
> Otherwise it would not show up in the captures.
>
> I have two theories: Either the game looks at the d3d capabilities
> (CheckDeviceFormat, GetDeviceCaps, mostly IDirect3D9 methods) and
> concludes that something is missing, enters a bad codepath and does
> not draw the pointer.
>
> Or some function unrelated to d3d does not work and the game fails to
> read the pointer from its resources.
>
> Since this is a glide application running through a glide wrapper the
> second case is much more likely. (Unless my memory is completely broken)
>
> You can compile wined3d for Windows. The basic idea is to set
> CFLAGS=-DUSE_WIN32_OPENGL and compile it with mingw on Windows, or
> Cross-Compile it from Linux. I also have a hacky Visual Studio 2013
> based build setup, but you'll have a hard time generating a binary
> that works on Windows XP with that. With a Win32 build of wined3d.dll
> and our d3d9.dll you can run the game on Windows with our d3d code. If
> the pointer shows up in that case this demonstrates that it is not a
> d3d issue. If it does not, it shows that the issue is a capability
> flag problem.
>
>> Also, I don't know apitrace that well, but is the per-frame
>> 'texture' tab only showing textures utilized in that frame, not
>> counting anything already in the framebuffer? I couldn't find the
>> cursor texture after looking at about two dozen frames, but then
>> again, I didn't find most textures using that method.
> No idea :-(

I never used apitrace on D3D traces, I assume it works in the same
fashion as on GL ones.
The 'texture' tab shows the textures bound to the texture units at
that point in time, each one of them might or might not be used by the
draw call you're examining. You should check the shaders (or the state
of the fixed function pipeline, if no shaders are bound) to know which
of those textures are actually used by the draw you're looking into.

What you can do at this point is to go through the draw calls of a
frame, looking for the one which draws the cursor (I would do that
just by looking at the framebuffer contents). Then run the game in
Wine + apitrace and see if you can find the same draw in the GL trace.
Either the draw is there, in which case you can look into why it
doesn't draw anything, or the call is totally missing, which would
support the hypothesis of the bad caps / wrong game codepath.