Mass effect 2 - Bink movies freezes game

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 18:07:40 CDT 2014

Am 21.03.2014 um 22:11 schrieb Tomas Gustavsson <tomplast at gmail.com>:
> Have tried for a while to get Mass Effect 2 working through Wine and though it's very playable for me it has a large drawback, I have to disable all movie playbacks with the -nomoviestartup argument. If I don't, the game freezes up and I can hear the sound stuck in a loop - it does not unfreeze itself.
>
> By looking through AppDB it seems that there are a large group of people that doesn't have this problem. I assume it's either related to my processor (AMD A10-6700) or GPU (HD5770, Catalyst driver)? I have tried to several Wine versions but it didn't help.
I think I know the problem you describe, although I have not re-tested this to be sure. ME2 likes to get stuck during the initial startup, before the main menu is shown. I think there’s a race condition somewhere in the game code. If you run in windowed mode and make the game window bigger it is quite likely to lock up. The problem might affect just window resizes or exposing parts of the window, or all message handling.

Again, this is just a theory. I never have investigated it in detail, it hasn’t bothered me enough when I was hunting other ME2 bugs.