[wine-devel] Re: Wine test week 2 - nice apparent progress

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Mar 25 12:07:47 CDT 2014

On 2014-03-25 07:51-0500 Jeremy White wrote:

> On 03/25/2014 02:33 AM, Henri Verbeet wrote:
>> On 25 March 2014 01:00, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>>> My script results are here:
>>>    http://www.winehq.org/~jwhite/ebd5f96aea22.html
>>>
>> For what it's worth, note that the intermittent failures in
>> ddraw:ddraw7 are timeouts, and happening in different places. I
>> suspect that's either the generic issue of the testbot timing out on
>> occasion, or the testbot just not being fast enough to finish the test
>> in time, perhaps due to it being under some load from a different VM.
>>

> Francois, do we have (or could we easily create) a mechanism to test that by
> constraining the number of VMs that run simultaneously?  I know it would slow
> performance, but it would be interesting to see if we
> can quantify that.

I am not a wine developer, but observing this interesting thread from
the outside point of view, it seems to me what you really need is a
mechanism to specify "timeout" for each test not in terms of
wall-clock time, but in terms of roughly how many floating-point
operations are consumed by the test before it is decided the test is a
failure.  IOW, each timeout in seconds should effectively be
multiplied by the integral of the time-variable load factor on the
actual hardware that is running the VM divided by a constant factor
corresponding to the speed of the machine.  So for example, the
timeout in seconds could be specified for a 1-GHz otherwise idle
theoretical hardware, and adjusted appropriately on-the-fly to speed
of the actual hardware and its time-variable load. If this is
implemented correctly, once a test succeeds with a given timeout
(specified for the theoretical hardware) on given hardware, it should
never fail again due to load/computer speed factors on that or any
other hardware with that same given timeout.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin