Wine staging tree

Michael Müller michael at fds-team.de
Thu Oct 2 09:57:24 CDT 2014

Am 02.10.2014 um 16:21 schrieb Rosanne DiMesio:
> We shouldn't have to do that.
>
> Users have the right to install whatever they want on their computers, but they also have the right to be fully informed of the consequences of their decision. That single sentence on your web page is not adequate warning.  We've already had one invalid bug filed by a Fedora user who clearly didn't know he was using an unsupported build.
>
> The winepulse driver in the Ubuntu packages includes a console message explicitly telling users it is not supported by the Wine Project, and telling them where they should report problems with it. Your build should do something similar.
>
> This goes beyond bugzilla. Users of patched versions of Wine also cannot file AppDB test reports or ask  for help on our forum. Please make that much clearer to your users.

We always call our wine version wine-compholio so that it should be
clear that it is not vanilla wine. I am also not aware of any bug
reports opened by wine-compholio users (except Fedora, see below). We
may consider adding a similar warning like Pulseaudio if this is going
to be a problem.

The only difference is Fedoras Wine build, but unlike you might think,
we did not ask them to include our patches. They contacted us since they
wanted to include the Silverlight patches to support Pipelight, but
against our recommendation to either only include the Silverlight
related patches or to provide a separate package, they decided to
include them all into their main wine package. As Sebastian wrote, we
already opened a bug report for this in their bug tracker.

Regards,
Michael