[RFC 0/11] Linux FF: Intro

Elias Vanderstuyft elias.vds at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 04:13:52 CDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Hi Elias,
>
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 12:36:06PM +0200, Elias Vanderstuyft wrote:
>> I'm mailing you to let you know that I'll be unable to create patches
>> and corresponding tests for these things, because I'll have no time to
>> work on it the coming year. Excuse me for that.
>> However, considering the amount of work I put into this, and the fact
>> that most bugs in Wine covered by my discussion above are obviously
>> clear bugs and some even embarrassing, someone should tackle at least
>> part of these problems.
>> I would be very glad if someone volunteers in doing so, I will be
>> still available if some things are not clear, just mail me.
>>

> Thanks for the update. I may try to get to this myself. Also, this
> would definitely make a good "newbie" project for someone wanting to
> get involved with Wine. You've already done a lot of the hard work, we
> just need someone to finish implementing it and make tests and
> patches.

Thank you very much for your reply, I agree.
It's the logical step at around this time, since there's a rising
amount of work being done around gaming devices and opensourcing of
their corresponding drivers, e.g. Logitech released an opensource spec
of the whole FF Protocol of its gaming devices:
    https://opensource.logitech.com/opensource/index.php/Technical_Information

Wine's correct implementation of FF will be crucial in this process to
compare performance between Wine and Windows e.g. running Windows
racing-sim games, of course our goal is to have superior performance
on Linux (this part should be accomplished by using superior kernel
drivers).

Cheers,
Elias