Question about implementing a test for BCryptGetFipsAlgorithmMode

Kai Blaschke kai.blaschke at kb-dev.net
Fri Sep 19 12:40:54 CDT 2014

Hi,

I had a small patch lying around here for some while which properly
implements the BCryptGetFipsAlgorithmMode function, behaving identically
to the original implementation. Just one question is bugging me,
regarding the test. To properly test the function, I'd have to write to
a registry key in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa. Is it safe
to assume that the test has write access to this key?

Additionally, I noticed I put a small bug in the code, returning false
for all registry values which are multiples of 256, which is a result of
simply casting a registry DWORD value to a BOOLEAN. To my surprise, the
original function - tested with WinXP and Win7 - has the same bug, so I
wouldn't fix my implementation before sending in the patch if no one
votes against it.

Regards
Kai