Problem receiving UDP broadcast on wxppro and w2008s64

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Apr 3 09:06:09 CDT 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, Bruno Jesus wrote:

> Hi, Francois, I hope you can help me in this situation. The patch
> attached to bug 31994 [1] (compiled version at [2]) runs fine in most
> testbot machines (tested dozens of times) and my personal XP machine,
> but for some reason it doesn't work in xppro and w2008s64.

I have tested this in two Windows XP VMs and indeed, disabling the
firewall fixes the issue. Also I did not see any predefined setting
could be flipped to change this behavior. My understanding is that with
SP3 installed by default the firewall blocks everything except what is
allowed. So by default broadcasts do not get it.

Adding ws2_32_test.exe as an exception to the Windows firewall also
solves the problem but I don't think it can be automated which would be
mostly needed for the testbot.

What's strange is that Windows 2003 is ok but not Windows 2008
although both are server editions.

Can the test work with 127.0.0.1 + 127.255.255.255?

  Any sufficiently advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux