winecfg: improve user experience by adding all Windows versions and accompanying error message

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 3 14:05:39 CDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:12:53AM -0700, Jason Overland wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to improve this patch?

Something is messed up with your patch. Every unchanged line appears
to have an extra space in it after the first 'diff' column, so neither
git-am nor patch(1) will apply it. My guess is your mail program
screwed it up.

http://source.winehq.org/patches/data/110308

> This patch is a resubmission of and supersedes my previous patch
> "winecfg: add note about 32 bit prefixes to dialog".  Thanks to
> everyone who provided feedback on that one.
>
> In this patch, winecfg's Application settings tab now includes all
> Windows versions in the combobox.  If the user is running from a 64
> bit prefix and selects a version of Windows that requires a 32 bit
> prefix, the selection will revert to the previous selection and a
> modal dialog containing an error message will appear:
>
>"""
>This Wine prefix is built to support 64 bit applications. Because the Windows version you selected does not support 64 bit applications, this prefix cannot be configured to mimic that version of Windows.
>
>Please refer to "How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?" in the "Using Wine" section of the Wine FAQ (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ) for instructions on how to create a 32 bit Wine prefix.
>"""

I don't know Wine's policy about referring to documentation not
included in Wine itself. It strikes me that the FAQ may be updated at
some point, making this message incorrect. That's why I typed out that
long message in my earlier reply.

Maybe we prefer a shorter message with the Wiki link? I don't know.

> In addition, I noticed two File Open dialogs in winecfg which should
> be modal but are not modal.  I made these modal by setting the
> appropriate owner window.  While a separate issue, this seemed like a
> trivial enough change to include in this patch.

We prefer changes to be as discrete as possible. Since they're
unrelated to your Windows version patch, you should make these changes
in a separate patch.

Andrew