USB Support

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun Apr 12 11:42:54 CDT 2015

* On Sun, 12 Apr 2015, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am 2015-04-11 um 17:38 schrieb Steve Kenton:
> > USB Support has been on the list of possible release criteria
> > basically forever. I've read through all the old threads and other
> > discussions I could find and it boils down to "really hard to do
> > right". If possible could someone knowledgeable comment briefly on
> > what might be an acceptable architecture for a Wine USB stack? In
> > particular I'm wondering about how much support for client/function
> > drivers would be desirable. Should we stick to only unprivileged
> > operations or would an optional kernel mode driver to support WDM
> > or WDF (KMDF/UMDF)  privileged interfaces be acceptable?

> I'm not an expert on this, but as far as I understand it the first
> problem that needs to be solved is properly registering USB devices in
> the device tree in the registry. This doesn't even involve Windows USB
> drivers and is as "simple" as advertising a USB mass storage device
> that's handled by Linux / OSX as a USB mass storage device instead of
> a fixed hard drive, with the proper vendor and device ID etc.

Stefan, do you mean populating entries in registry subkeys
"Control\DeviceClasses" [1] and "Enum" [2] or namely "Enum\USB" [3] in the
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ key ?

I guess namely what values are crucial here except for essentially looking
"HardwareID" [4] -- can it be all of them?  Judging by the WineHQ Wiki [5]
I am not so sure.

S.

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff546165%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
[2] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff546173%28v=vs.85%29.aspx