Windows Service + CreateWindowEx

Robert D Kocisko rkocisko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:21:32 CDT 2015

I am attempting to make some tweaks to Wine so it can run a (3rd party)
windows service that uses CreateWindowEx, and I'm not sure whether I'm on
the right track or not.   What is happening is that when the service calls
CreateWindowEx, I get this error:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
The explorer process failed to start.

I traced it down to the following source code line in
wine/dlls/user32/driver.c:

UINT guid_atom = HandleToULong( GetPropW( hwnd, display_device_guid_propW
));

What is happening is that guid_atom returns 0 which ultimately ends up
disallowing any connection to a graphics driver.

Now it seems to me that the explorer.exe process is supposed to be
providing a desktop window and setting that atom value.  But if I try to
run wine explorer.exe it  doesn't make any difference.  I am keeping Wine
alive by running wine notepad & and I am also running wine services to make
sure that the SCM is alive and available for the services.

OS: Elementary OS Freya 0.3

Is this something that Wine should support?  I have had success getting
other 3rd party services to work so it seems that it shouldn't be too
difficult to make this work.  Could anyone provide guidance on how I should
proceed to tweak the code to support this?  Or if this is going to be a
huge project to make this work I would appreciate knowing that too :).

Thanks much,
Bob Kocisko