RFC: New dependency on FFmpeg?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Aug 21 09:09:31 CDT 2015

On 08/21/2015 08:59 AM, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> In addition to what Michael Stefaniuc said, I don't think gstreamer
> has WMA support?
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/plugins.html
>
> I wasn't able to find any open source libraries to decode WMA other
> than FFmpeg.
>
> Andrew

WMA support is provided by the libav plugin.

$ gst-inspect-1.0 | grep -i wma
typefindfunctions: video/x-ms-asf: asf, wm, wma, wmv
libav:  avenc_wmav1: libav Windows Media Audio 1 encoder
libav:  avenc_wmav2: libav Windows Media Audio 2 encoder
libav:  avdec_wmalossless: libav Windows Media Audio Lossless decoder
libav:  avdec_wmapro: libav Windows Media Audio 9 Professional decoder
libav:  avdec_wmav1: libav Windows Media Audio 1 decoder
libav:  avdec_wmav2: libav Windows Media Audio 2 decoder
libav:  avdec_wmavoice: libav Windows Media Audio Voice decoder

If you go down the route of linking against ffmpeg or including a WMA decoder those
of us that package wine in distributions released in patent-friendly countries will
have to spend time striping out that support (if it is not a configure time option).