RFC: New dependency on FFmpeg?

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Fri Aug 21 09:47:50 CDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 09:25:46AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 08/21/2015 09:18 AM, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> >Did libav drop whatever patent-encumbered code from ffmpeg? If not, I
> >don't see how this solves any patent issues for distros that care
> >about it.
>
> GStreamer plugins can be shipped outside of the distribution.
>
> Example: Fedora ships gstreamer with patent free codecs. RPMFusion
> ships additional patent encumbered plugins that Fedora users can
> install.
>
> * Install Fedora
> * dnf install gstreamer1-plugins-good
> * Install RPMFusion repository
> * dnf install gstreamer1-libav

OK. So most useful to you would be an external WMA decoding
implementation and a run-time switch to enable WMA decoding iff the
library is available. That way users can have WMA support by just
installing a non-free package, without having to rebuild wine with a
different configure switch. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Andrew