Does wine send window messages without waiting apps to reenter userdll?

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Wed Aug 26 09:29:02 CDT 2015

On 26.08.2015 16:04, Sebastian Lackner wrote:
> If you are concerned that WaitMessage immediately dispatches the messages,
> Wine doesn't do that. Processing of window messages is only done in the
> context of GetMessage and PeekMessage, no matter if its a "queued" or
> "non-queued" message. In fact Wine doesn't really make a difference between
> the two, it just assigns specific internal message numbers for non-queued
> messages. To identify those the the highest bit (0x80000000) is set.

After reading the last part again I noticed that I wasn't really very precise,
because I somehow already assumed that you are talking about non-queued messages
caused by SetWindowPos and things like that. Those are implemented using internal
messages in Wine, and might be affected by the "bugs" mentioned in the last mail.

Besides that its of course also possible to send other non-queued messages
directly with SendMessage and similar functions. But in this case the answer would
be the same: WaitMessage does not dispatch them immediately, they are processed
during a call to PeekMessage or GetMessage.

Regards,
Sebastian