Prep for Wineconf - testing

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Aug 31 18:18:38 CDT 2015

I believe I answered these questions off-list but here are the answers
so others know them too and can participate.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015, Jeremy White wrote:
[...]
> Weren't we going to run an experiment by setting the run queue size to 1
> to see if that prevented the msi timeout failures?  If changing the run
> queue size from n to 1 and buying n machines will 'fix' this, maybe it's
> time to do that.

To clarify the idea is to do nothing else while a test is running (and
obviously only run one test at a time).

> I seem to recall that Francois needed cooperation from Alexandre to run
> that experiment - is that right?

This is configured in testbot/lib/WineTestBot/Config.pm which Git
currently indicates has the following settings:

 $MaxRevertingVMs = 1;
 $MaxRevertsWhileRunningVMs = 1;
 $MaxActiveVMs = 2;

This indicates that we can have two active VMs, which means one running
a test and the other idle, or two tests running simultaneously, or one
test running while another VM is being reverted.

But it's possible the settings on the winehq.org server are different.
Only Alexandre has access to that machine. If so, then I guess the
experiment would call for trying the following settings:

 $MaxRevertingVMs = 1;
 $MaxRevertsWhileRunningVMs = 0;
 $MaxActiveVMs = 1;

I'm a bit skeptical that it would make much of a difference.

> Once we think we've got robust Windows tests, then we move on to pursuit
> of the the holy grail - having at least two Linux machines capable of
> running make test cleanly.

Patches accepted.

> And I don't see any for Mac :-(.

I should buy a Mac but I don't really have the time...
Too bad we don't have any Wine Mac developers!

                           La terre est une bêta...