Random err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow errors related to windows and explorer

Qian Hong fracting at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 02:14:55 CST 2015

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 1:34 AM, Sebastian Lackner <sebastian at fds-team.de> wrote:
> Could you please test if you're still able to see this error in 1.8-rc3?
> Two race-conditions have been fixed by my patches which were accepted today.

Today I found I can reproduce similar issue with lua for Windows and
nodejs for WIndows on Wine Staging 1.8-rc3-719-g3a955a5

err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a
window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.

Steps to reproduce:

The Lua way:

1. Install MSYS2 on Wine Staging: https://msys2.github.io/
(see https://github.com/fracting/wine-fracting/wiki/MSYS2-on-Wine for more info)

2. Start a MINGW32 shell on Wine:
$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/msys32
$ wine start mingw32_shell.bat

3. Install lua for Windows inside MINGW32 shell using pacman:
$ pacman -Su mingw-w64-i686-lua

4. Start lua inside MINGW32 shell on Wine:
$ lua

The nodejs way is similar, just install mingw-w64-i686-nodejs

Environment:
Kernel version:
4.2.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP i686 GNU/Linux
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 15.10
Codename: wily

I have native IE8 installed by winetricks in the same prefix, I'll
retest without native IE later.

Could anyone double confirm if you can reproduce? Thanks!

--
Regards,
Qian Hong

-