EnableShell registry key

Ruslan Kabatsayev b7.10110111 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 01:34:34 CST 2015

Hello,

Wine 1.8 announcement mentions EnableShell key:

> There is an optional Start Menu in desktop mode, that can be enabled
> on a per-desktop basis by setting "EnableShell" to "Y" under
> HKCU\Software\Wine\Explorer\Desktops\<name>.

But when I tried to use it, I failed with "Y" string key (i.e. only
desktop with special name "shell" got the start button). After reading
the sources that key appears to be a DWORD, so it has to be created as
a DWORD with value of "1".
Also, the key isn't listed @ http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys .

What's it supposed to be — a string or a dword? Is it a bug in
implementation, or is it a misdocumentation? And should it also be
listed @ UsefulRegistryKeys?

Regards,
Ruslan