README: add a note about 64-bit Wine and 32-bit apps (try 2)

Kyle Auble kyle.auble at zoho.com
Wed Dec 23 20:58:52 CST 2015

On 12/23/2015 06:57 PM, Austin English wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Kyle Auble <kyle.auble at zoho.com> wrote:
>> My only question is do you all want to move the "AMD64" page back to
>> "Wine64" wholesale, or should I leave the "AMD64" page and just copy all the
>> text over to "Wine64" for everyone to edit how they want? My logic in making
>> the "AMD64" page in the first place was that it would eventually just become
>> development notes (especially for OS-es besides Linux) and troubleshooting
>> for that architecture. That's why I didn't bother with anything like an
>> "x86" page.
>>
>> I pictured user-facing stuff and basic instructions going in other docs or
>> main wiki-pages, but if the readme is going to link regularly to the wiki, I
>> can definitely see the value in a "Wine64" page. Does everyone want to dump
>> the "AMD64" page for notes too though?
> I don't see the harm in having AMD64 specific information on an AMD64
> page, with it linking/referencing Wine64.
>
> I'm more concerned with having a Wine64 page that is useful for packagers/users.

Done, "Wine64" is back up, but it's pretty sparse. Most of the info on
"AMD64" was already aimed at developers. Thinking back, I probably moved
most packager- and (power) user-oriented stuff that isn't in the FAQ to
the "Shared WoW64" section of the "BuildingWine" page. I'll leave it up
to you all to fill out the page though.

BTW, I saw that you all decided to bring back the "Biarch on Ubuntu"
page, which is cool because I know "BuildingWine" is a bit of a monster.
I made that page because building hints and instructions were scattered
across the wiki and other docs, and I thought one general walkthrough
would be good. I'm sure if someone came at it with a different
perspective, they could find a lot to prune or improve, then maybe
reorganize a few bits on other pages.

Kyle