Plug and Play and Wine

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 30 10:43:07 CST 2015

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for my delay I am on vacation so e-mail and think about complicated things like this time is more scarce.

On 12/22/15 12:13 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> I've already done that. Attached are 2 patches that make driver loading independent of global variables, and move driver loading code from winedevice.exe to ntoskrnl.exe where it can be reused to load drivers from anything that links to ntoskrnl.exe.

That is pretty cool!  Have you submitted these for review and comment? It would be nice to move the driver loading somewhere like ntoskrnl

> My work on USB uses a similar idea.
>
> In my design, usbhub.sys (my "bus driver") is loaded at Wine start-up. It is loaded by winedevice.exe, in its own separate winedevice.exe process just like every driver currently is, but it is able to (using my previously mentioned patches) load USB device drivers into its own process, and leading to a hybrid driver architecture where copy protection drivers should continue to work as they get loaded into their own winedevice processes and crashes won't affect other drivers, while usbhub.sys can load USB drivers into its own process as needed to provide hardware support.

That should plug into this structure pretty easily, that is good to know. the usbhub.sys will no longer be loaded by winedevice.exe but instead it will be integrated into plugplay.exe, still in driver style for later pull out if we want.

> Also I planned to detect device additions and removals by listing all USB devices every second, and detecting what changed since the previous listing. This is because there is no other portable way to read device addition/removal events: there used to be HAL but now we've degenerated to the Linux-only udev :-(. I was planning to hack the plug and play side of things ;-). A background thread in usbhub.sys would do this polling for USB devices and build device objects and load drivers.

If you are using udev then you should be able to to listen for device removal and insertion without having to poll. In my proof of concept Plug and Play setup I have a udev setup that does this for hidraw devices and it quite straight forward.

> We should probably develop the plug and play system before USB though?

I agree. So far I am looking at the lack of much comment as people not having any problem with this, and since it works with your concept and artecheture I will start cleaning it up and try to submit patches soon after the new year.

-aric