About Wine Security

Pierre Schweitzer pierre at reactos.org
Wed Jan 7 10:39:07 CST 2015

On 07/01/2015 17:19, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 04:46:10PM +0100, Pierre Schweitzer wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm coming to you after a short discussion with Alexandre on this
>> topic.
>>
>> Wine gets more and more used, in various ways: either directly
>> by users, or because it gets shipped in various form. It can
>> packaged in a distribution, forked to suit a project needs
>> (thinking about pipelight), or even shipped along with software
>> to save native portage costs. Not to say that it's core of the
>> ReactOS operating system itself.
>>
>> But as any other software, Wine can present security
>> vulnerabilities. MITRE exposes some of the code defects pattern
>> (known as CWE) that can lead to potential exploitation and thus
>> to security vulnerabilities [1]. When such defect is found and
>> looks potentially exploitable (either because a crash was
>> reported, or because it directly deals with callers data), a
>> vulnerability ID (CVE) can be assigned by MITRE to reference the
>> potential security vulnerability and make it known to people
>> using it.
>>
>> Some of them (buffer overflow, overrun, double-free,
>> use-after-free, and so on) are sometimes found and fixed in Wine
>> without further consideration regarding what it would imply for
>> real Wine (mis-)usage. Even if no Proof of Concept is available
>> at the time when the commit is made, it doesn't mean it cannot be
>> exploited later on. With such exploits, it generally means that
>> the attacker can target a Linux OS through a crafted PE binary.
>
>> What I'm proposing here is that I start requesting CVE-ID for
>> these findings when I find them in the commit logs of Wine and
>> that they look exploitable. My hope is that it would allow
>> distributions to repackage Wine taking care of these issues, but
>> also to make people shipping Wine aware that the Wine they are
>> shipping is likely vulnerable. This proposal it though limited in
>> space & time: I wouldn't only do it starting in 2015 (I don't
>> believe going backwards would make that much sense) and for 1.7
>> branch which is, I believe, the most used.
>>
>> I'm looking for your feedback on my proposal and how you believe
>> such vulnerabilities in Wine can affect the host Linux (or Mac).
>> This wouldn't involve more work on your side (excepted if I ask
>> for more details to make sure I'm right in my analysis of the
>> issue).
>
> I would say that exploiting by "crafted PE binary" is not in scope
> for CVE allocation for Wine, as you would not keep the crafted PE
> binary from doing "int 0x80" itself.

Well, by crafted PE binary, I mean, binary that would be designed to
exploit such weaknesses. To corrupt memory, read from it or whatever.

> (Except of course when the binary crashes already the loader or
> imagehlp or so.)

That's my point.

> But bugs in progressing any data leading to exploitation would be.
>
> This is probably going to be tedious ;)

This generally is, but helps a lot, so... It deserves it, I believe.

> Ciao, Marcus

- --
Pierre Schweitzer <pierre at reactos.org>
System & Network Administrator