Wine 64 bit

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Fri Jan 9 13:18:13 CST 2015

On Jan 9, 2015, at 6:01 AM, Maarten Lankhorst <maarten at mblankhorst.nl> wrote:

> On 09-01-15 06:11, Ken Thomases wrote:
>
>> The Mac driver crashes in a 64-bit build for reasons I haven't investigated, so you have to use the X11 driver.  You can do this using WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winemac.drv=d" or by setting this in the registry after the prefix is created:
> Doesn't win64 and mac64 both use the %gs register for TLS?

Yes, but this incarnation of Wine64 does not attempt to directly manipulate %gs.  My understanding is that it can't without a syscall, anyway.

> Could that be related to the crash?

It could be, but I don't think it is in this case.

There is an incompatibility between the Win64 and OS X ABIs.  Win64 apps are free to use %gs for their own purposes while OS X does not guarantee to leave it alone.  We're hoping that few actually do use %gs and, so, that they won't break.  We can't fix the problem but maybe it won't actually matter much in the real world.  That's the purpose of this experiment: to find out if that's so.

-Ken