Mac Driver's functionality on Snow Leopard/Lion

António Sarmento antonio.luis.sarmento at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:48:05 CST 2015

Hello everyone,

I had a question about the functionality of the Mac Driver when I found out that winemac.drv.so wasn’t working on my machine with Snow Leopard with a Wine wrapper; this was partially discussed in another e-mail sent directly to Ken Thomases (I apologize for this, I should’ve found the use of this mailing list sooner), where I mentioned that the addition of kCGDisplayShowDuplicateLowResolutionModes was keeping Wine from creating windows on OS X 10.6 (building works, Wine just stops at loading winemac.drv.so), as specified in this log:

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemac.drv": dlopen(/path/to/app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/bin/../lib/wine/winemac.drv.so, 258): Symbol not found: _kCGDisplayShowDuplicateLowResolutionModes
  Referenced from: /path/to/app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Unknown error (127).
wine: Unhandled exception 0x0eedfade in thread 9 at address 0x0000:0x7b82cda2 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Unknown error (127).
err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 2016 bytes in thread 0009 eip 7bc3772c esp 00230b50 stack 0x230000-0x231000-0x330000

This, however, was a fault of my own since, as suggested by Ken, I should've included "-mmacosx-version-min=10.6" to the compiler flags if I wanted Snow Leopard to be included in the range of supported OS; The symbols that were causing trouble for me «might not be available at run time» now «resolve to a NULL address», so the driver is able to run (my app using winemac now crashes for another reason of which I shall make a proper research later).

I doubt this particular log actually helps since it just further shows the problem trying to run winemac when it was not compiled for that OS.

I shall ask more questions about the Mac Driver in the future, if there’s no problem with you.

Thank you for your time!
António