Wine Stable (Was: Re: [website] Update Debian downloads info (Resend))

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 03:46:44 CDT 2015

On 07/24/2015 01:29 AM, Nathan Schulte wrote:
> On 07/23/2015 05:23 PM, Kyle Auble wrote:
>> I migrated to Debian Stable within the past year (still think Ubuntu's
>> great, just a minimalist that wanted to wander a bit upstream). If I
>> understand everything, I think the main reason the wine team still
>> bothers with a stable release is for distros like Debian Stable or
>> Redhat.
>
> Does Wine treat Stable this way?  In that it receives bugfixes/security
> updates (from Development, mainline) that are applicable to making it
> more stable/secure?  From the release log, it looks like Stable is
> basically dead; the last release was well over a year ago.  I think with
We already have a topic "Wine Stable Considered Harmful" for the
WineConf in September, see http://wiki.winehq.org/WineConf2015

> this scenario, as you hint at with your closing remarks Kyle, if there
> was a single release (no Stable/Development), Debian would just choose
> not to package the newer version and only release the one it believes is
> most stable (perhaps with Debian curated bugfix/security updates from
> upstream).  It seems Stable is to help facilitate this (awesome!), but
> it doesn't actually work that way in practice.
On a high level view this are IMHO the good and bad things about the
current stable process in Wine:

Good                            Bad
Code freeze/stabilization       Way too old
Marketing                       Release slips with features slippage
Some distributions want it      Distributions insist on using it
                                Bug reports for stable are ignored

bye
	michael