Migrating away from Sourceforge

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu Jun 4 23:22:41 CDT 2015

On 06/04/2015 05:22 PM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Do cloud providers like Amazon S3 count as a CDN here?  It's very low
> barrier to entry, just make an account.  As far as automation goes, you
> could just mirror whatever ftp structure you were going to build into s3
> with something like s3fs.

Generally a CDN has several advantages; first, it mirrors across the
world, so folks get to download from a more local source.  Second, it
tends to price more favorably.

I've done some further research, and I think we may be looking at more
of a cost than we might like.

Google's pricing for network traffic is 12 cents / Gig.  That's about
$500/month for these downloads.

Looks like other CDNs will get you down as low as 6 cents / Gig, which
is still fairly pricey for us.

Digital Ocean essentially advertises $0.02/Gig, but they don't make
promises on rate, and I saw some concerns about their overall stability
(e.g. indications that there were uptime issues).

Note that Amazon's free tier lets you have 15G of data before they cap you.

Sadly, I think CodeWeavers does not have enough head room; we're using
about 30 Mbps (95th percentile) on our CDN, and if I read the numbers
right, these downloads would push us over our 50 Mbps limit.

CodeWeavers could probably negotiate a modest price for a bump on that
cap to make room for the Wine downloads; I think we're overpaying now,
so I suspect I have some leverage <grin>.

There may be a CDN willing to give Wine a deal, as we're a non profit.
I'll shoot a note of to SFC to see if they have a CDN they deal with.

Bottom line:  whatever other complaints we have about SourceForge,
they've been providing an incredible value all these years.

Cheers,

Jeremy