Migrating away from Sourceforge

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Jun 5 09:19:55 CDT 2015

On 06/04/2015 11:57 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 06/04/2015 11:55 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>>
>> There is always the github route. All the cool kids are doing it these
>> days.
>>
>> They don't have any expressed bandwidth or disk space limits on open
>> source software repos. It would be completely free.
>
> It looks like this is already setup?
>
> https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine
>
> Any release tarballs are handled via:
>
> https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/archive/wine-1.7.44.tar.gz

Yeah, that certainly seems like a reasonable alternate to try.  GitHub
has essentially displaced SourceForge in the eco system.

Note, though, while there are not explicit bandwidth caps, their terms
of service does say:

> If your bandwidth usage significantly exceeds the average bandwidth usage (as determined solely by GitHub) of other GitHub customers, we reserve the right to immediately disable your account or throttle your file hosting until you can reduce your bandwidth consumption.

I do have a request in to the SFC and want to hear their wisdom as well.

Cheers,

Jeremy