[wine-tools] patches: Add a "Staging" status.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Jun 8 01:22:53 CDT 2015

Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure we want to encourage wine-stating from Upstream (I'm not
> convinced either way), but in any case, the grammar seems wrong to me
> as a native speaker, how about:
> "The patch needs more work or wider testing. Please try to get into
> Wine-Staging."

I'm not going to use such a status, because I don't think getting
patches into staging is going to make them more likely to be accepted.

On the contrary, if the iterations of the patch take place somewhere
that I don't see, it will make it harder for me to assess the
developer's ability (aka AJ rank), which is an essential part of the
process. Particularly if you want to move on to more complicated things
where I can't check every detail, it's essential to first earn my trust,
or the trust of other veteran devs, and this has to happen right here.

I see the value of wine-staging in making patches more readily available
to users, and I understand that the process of getting patches committed
can be frustrating. But I don't think splitting the developers community
is the answer.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org