ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Jun 10 03:38:50 CDT 2015

Sebastian Lackner <sebastian at fds-team.de> writes:

> I understand your concerns, but from my understanding you also don't want
> patches which for example temporarily introduce bugs, just to fix them
> shortly afterwards.
>
> Qian Hongs original patch is available here:
> https://bugs.wine-staging.com/attachment.cgi?id=289&action=diff
>
> The original version lacked proper parameter checking, and also didn't clear
> the full buffer. To be honest, there isn't really much left from the original
> version, but I still think its fair to give attribution to Qian. We were working
> together on fixing various msys2 bugs, and this was one of them.
>
> Do you have a better suggestion how to deal with such situations in the future?
> In case of active contributors I can ask them to fix the most critical bugs of
> course, and afterwards put my patch on top of it. But what about inactive
> contributors? What about series of patches where the initial idea turned out to
> be wrong, and it was later fixed by a different contributor on top of the
> existing code?

What should happen is that Qian would submit a patch (to wine-patches,
where everybody can see it) then if you see something wrong with it,
instead of going ahead and making changes yourself, you tell Qian about
it (and CC wine-devel so that we are all aware of what's going on), and
let him address the issues and resubmit the patch. Repeat until the
patch is good enough.

The process of having people fix their own patch is important. Not only
it lets them learn from their mistakes, it also enables us to see where
they are struggling, how they improve, how much they care, and builds
the trust necessary to get patches approved. The process is at least as
important as the final result.

That's my issue with wine-staging: it's trying to shortcut the process
on the idea that if the final patch is OK, it doesn't matter how you got
there. But to me, it does very much matter.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org