Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:14:59 CDT 2015

> Am 15.06.2015 um 21:59 schrieb GOUJON Alexandre <ale.goujon at gmail.com>:
>
> I don't know how statuses are managed but maybe a tool can be created or improved ?
> We can provide a mentor when a newbie posts a patch for the first time so that AJ can do other things in the meantime. (or delegate to wine-staging or a kind of sandbox but AJ doesn't like the idea)
> We could also use the 'sign-off' feature to delegate make a patch verified by a trusted dev (= having a list with domain <-> trusted dev).
> We can write standard commit rules and patch lifecycle rules so that everyone know where their patch is far from commit.
In theory we have all this, but it doesn't work as well as we want to. Henri checks d3d patches and Alexandre pretty much always commits the ones Henri acks (the only exception I've seen was when the test broke on AJ's machine but not mine or Henri's). Jacek and Piotr take care of mshtml & friends and msvc.

Problems arise in other areas. E.g. I've struggled to help people with patches for dplay and reg.exe. There are many parts of Wine that nobody feels really responsible for.

The other thing I am unhappy about is that sometimes all non-Alexandre people say "this is OK" but Alexandre still doesn't apply or provide feedback. Examples I can think of are my fix for bug 38394 (Alexandre told me once that he needs more time to check all possible side effects and that fixing the bug is probably more complicated) or Joachim Priesner's task dialog patches (https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2015-February/137362.html is the latest version afaics)

Also I believe many people are afraid to say "this looks OK to me" because they think it might lower their Julliard Rank if the patch contains a stupid mistake. Reviewing is harder than writing patches.