Wine developer frustration (was Re: ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.)

Josh DuBois duboisj at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 16 14:56:56 CDT 2015

On 6/16/15 2:51 PM, Theodore Dubois wrote:

> May I suggest you eliminate those hacks by merging them into the Wine
> codebase?
Most of the hacks would not be accepted into wine - some are simply bad
implementations of needed behavior, others are totally bizzare things
which are application-specific and should not be included in the main
source tree.  Over time, the hope (and this does really tend to happen)
is that proper, good, quality implementations of the hacks get written
and are merged upstream.

> This may sound unthinkable, but I would also suggest going further and
> releasing the source code for the hacks.

We always, always release full source when we release a version of
CrossOver.   Not only for wine, but for other open-source components we
use.  It is available here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/source/

If we ever fail to release source when we cut a version of CrossOver,
that's a bug and a problem.  Tell us about it and we will fix it (it
very rarely happens, our release process is pretty smooth).    We are
obligated by the LGPL to release these sources, so anyone who wants to
make a request always can, but they are also always available for
download on our website, just like CrossOver itself.